Thursday 8 December 2011

From Dante to Livia June 25, 1956

From: Atikoken 
To: 360 Ontario Street, Port Arthur, Ontario


English translation follows which was done via a on line program so there may be some discrepancies. 



Atikokan 25-6-56

Carissimo amore,
ieri nel pomeriggio sono arrivato qua, ho trovato lavoro, così mi sono fermato qua; dato che sabato non si lavora perchè il lavoro appena incominciato,  non si lavora tanto, solo otto ore al giorno e cinque giorni alla settimana ma, in circa due settimane di tempo incominceremo a lavorare più ore e si potrà guadagnare bene.  Cara Livia io sò di essere veramente innamorato di te  e soffro tanto perchè sei un angelo che non potrò mai dimenticare e spero che tu non pretendi tanto da me, sarebbe una cosa impossibile per me, lasciandoti dal mio cuore.

I pensieri che a me fanno impazzire forse sono sbagliati ma, devo pensare così profondamente su quello perchè solo per pochi giorni tu non avessi paura di sposarmi. Lo sò, donna cara, di essere ignorante di molte cose, sò di amarti, sono povero ma il cuore ricco di amore solo per te.

Io, cara Livia, posso fare tanto nella mia vita con il tuo aiuto, le mie speranze sono su di te, se mi farai perdere queste speranze per me è perso tutto.

Se è per quella ragione che mi hai detto, perchè non vuoi o hai paura di sposarmi, io cara Livia, sono disposto a rinunciare a tutto, ma ti voglio vicina; voglio il tuo amore che ho bisogno, il tuo cuore, la tua bontà e tante altre bellezze intorno a te.

Amore ti sembrerà che io sia un lusinghiero, ma non sono, di quanto ti dissi, penserai che io faccio promesse che non riuscirò a mantenere, forse penserai che sono stupido a fare promesse del genere, questa promessa la posso mantenere se sei tu che mi vuoi in quel modo.

Non dimenticarti di me amore, che io non ti dimenticherò mai; io verrò giù venerdì sera, aspetterò la tua telefonata alle otto e mezza per sentire la tua voce tanto bella e cara e simpatica.

Mi scuserai dei miei scarabocchi e la composizione, quando saprò, scriverò meglio; qui è anche un po' scomodo per scrivere in ginocchio.

Con una pena al cuore termino il mio scritto, sperando di poterti vedere sabato o domenica. Ricevi tanti saluti,  milioni di baci chi non potrà mai dimenticarti è

Dante   


ENGLISH

Atikokan 25-6-56

Dear love,

Yesterday afternoon I arrived here, I found a job, so I stopped here; since it is Saturday, we do not work because the work just begun, not working so much, only eight hours a day, five days a week, but in about two weeks time we begin to work more hours and you can earn well.  Dear Livia I know to be truly in love with you and I suffer because you are an angel that I will never forget and I hope you don't ask much from me, it would be impossible for me, letting you leave from my heart.

Thoughts that make me go crazy maybe are wrong but I think so deeply on why only for a few days you are not afraid to marry me. I know, dear woman, being ignorant of many things, know to love you, I'm poor but the heart is full of love just for you.

I, dear Livia, can do a lot in my life with your help, my hopes are on you, if I do lose these hopes for me is lost everything.

If it is for that reason that I have said, why don't you want or you're afraid to marry me, dear Livia, am I willing to give up everything, but I want you close; I love that I need, your heart, your goodness and many other sights around you

Love you will feel as if I am a flattering, but I am not, as I said unto thee, you'll think that I am making promises that I cannot succeed in maintaining, perhaps you'll think that I am stupid to make promises like that, this promise I can maintain if you love me in that way.

Don't forget of my love, that I will never forget you; I will come down Friday evening, I'll wait for your telephone call at eight and a half to hear your voice so beautiful and dear and pleasant.

Please excuse my scribbles and composition, when I learn, I’ll write better; Here it is a little awkward to write on my knees.

With a pain in my heart I end this letter, hoping to see Saturday or Sunday. Receive many greetings, millions of kisses from one who will never forget you

Dante

No comments:

Post a Comment